In this month's SPOTLIGHT feature we talk to Jamie Jenkinson from Sector Associates Ltd.
1. When did you start your business?
Previously I ran a business called PXL insurance which was an Appointed Representative from 2011. I decided to go it alone, sold the PXL business and started Sector Associates Ltd in August 2018.
2. What led you to start a business/how did it all begin?
I guess it’s a similar story in that having had a lot of success working for other people I thought I could do it for myself. I had built up a lot of knowledge and contacts within the hospitality and leisure sector so decided to start by focusing on providing insurance solutions in this area.
3. What do you like about Thirsk?
It has to be the people, my family and I are very much settled here and are proud of the town.
4. What is your most popular product/service?
Insurance isn’t the most innovative of industries, but we are developing some real expertise in two area of risk which are emerging rapidly; Protection of Business owners from litigation and Cyber Crime.
We are also working on an exclusive niche product for hotel cancellation but can’t say much more at the moment!
5. What other local business do you support?
We try and support local businesses where we can and are increasingly involved with sponsorship of local events and groups. The Festival on the Flats and Tour De Yorkshire are just two examples of events we have supported – both of which are a real credit to the town.
6. What is the best part of your job?
Solving problems for clients and meeting new people.
7. What is the best piece of advice you would offer a new business in Thirsk?
Be open to change and don’t stop learning, I’ve recently brought a mentor into the business to help me personally and challenge how we operate.
8. Fun/amazing fact about your business people might not know?
One of our team has toured with Paul Weller!
9. Favourite book/famous person that inspires you?
As a Liverpool fan it has to be Steven Gerrard.
10. What does the future look like for your business?
It's in good shape, a great team who we are developing. We have invested in the best IT system for our industry which will help us to continue to improve our service. We have some incredible opportunities both locally and nationally so I’m very excited about 2019 and beyond!
Thank you Jamie. If you would like to featured in our monthly SPOTLIGHT ON feature, please email firstname.lastname@example.org